Sunday, October 23, 2011

CLASSICS OF CRAP: VOLUME 8-SUPERMAN IV


Welcome back to Classics of Crap, where I take a look at some of the most notorious cinematic stinkers of all time, and illustrate them. Last week, I examined the movie that killed the Batman franchise, (for a while, anyway). This week, I think it's only fair that I look at the movie that killed the Superman franchise- the odious Superman IV: The Quest for Peace.

I was 9 when this movie came out, and was already a die hard Superman fan. This movie holds a special place in my heart as the first movie I can remember walking out of thinking it was a horrible, horrible disappointment. So now, nearly 25 years later, how does it old up? Not well, I'm afraid. The effects still look incredibly bad, even worse than the original Superman made 10 years earlier. The jokes aren't funny, but much unintentional humor comes from hammy performance by Mark Pillow as the evil Nuclear Man. I blame schlock-merchant producers Golan-Globus for slashing the budget so far as the director had to recycle shots of Superman flying over and over again. So, should you watch this? Sure, it's 90 minutes of goofy, awful fun. Best part? When Nuclear Man kidnaps Star 80 and takes her into outer space. Where she can breathe. WTF?


4 comments:

Admin said...

I like when the girl is in the tornado. This movie makes Superman so boring!

GOGOPEDRO said...

wow... Love the clark kent ala gym sweats... Truly one of the weaker superman films...

P

Joshua Wysocki said...

came out great dude!
u should post your sketches, they had so much fluidity to them!

Robert Smith said...

A great article written.
I will definitely recommend my friends to read it.
clipping path service|Photo Retouching services|Vector Tracing