Monday, September 26, 2011

ClaSSICS OF CRAP: VOLUME 3-Showgirls


Welcome back to this weeks edition of Classics of Crap. Today's drawing is of the 1995 stinkbomb, Showgirls. Believe it or not, I actually paid to see this movie in the theater. I was 17, and since this was one of the first mainstream Hollywood movies to be rated NC-17 and given a wide release, I expected nothing less than the sexiest movie of all time. I was pumped, nervous and excited. 2 hours later, I sat befuddled. I had been had. Showgirls was a total let down, possibly the UN-sexiest movie ever. I slunk out of the theater, disappointed.


Years later, I was talking to a friend about what a crappy movie it was, and he suggested I see it again, but this time, with a different frame of mind. He was totally right. Watching it again, I finally got the joke. On the VIP edition of the DVD, the commentary by David Schmader was hilarious and reassigned this movie as a camp classic. It remains one of my most beloved 'bad movies', every frame bursting with tacky, glittery awfulness. For my illustration, I really wanted to highlight some of the "what were they thinking?!?" lines in the movie. They are taken out of context, but in the film, they are howlers. If you haven't seen Showgirls, slip into something more comfortable, grab a pole, and give it a spin!

1 comment:

GOGOPEDRO said...

Classicly bad.... I kinda wanns see you tear into Ishtar now...